Sunday 16 March 2014

The Crit from...

 
Sarah Thornton, Seven Days in the Art World. W. W. Norton & Company, 2008
The second chapter of Thornton's book, titled "The Crit", is a close examination of the late Michael Asher's Post Studio class at CalArts.

 
I really enjoyed reading this, it reminded me of the crit's I took part in during my degree and how they really helped me to work through my ideas. I think critique is very important when producing work as constructive criticism really pushes you to question yourself, what you want the work to say and how effective the work is.

I also think that when Thornton and the academics she speaks you to talk about the students falling apart before pulling it together is very apt. I really identified with this point as I think breakthroughs often come from breakdowns, you have to admit what is not working and your own failings before really being able to see the solution.

Most of all this essay made me miss crits, since finishing my degree a number of years ago I have not been able to find a group environment that enables critique but I am still searching and hopeful.....

No comments:

Post a Comment